For over 30 years, Jim has been a trusted partner in working with many high net worth investors and families in the region. From the most complicated estate planning projects to the most sophisticated investment strategies, Jim has always recognized that serving as an advisor in any capacity is first and foremost a privilege. The responsibility we are given to protect and preserve and grow your wealth is built on a foundation of trust that has been established over time. It is tremendously rewarding to help our clients and their families manage their financial lives. And we pledge to always act with integrity and honesty on your behalf.
As one of the very first SEC-registered investment advisors in the area, Walter and Keenan was founded by Jim’s uncle Donald Walter. Both Don and Jim are attorneys and have been very active in our client’s wealth management, estate planning and asset transfer strategies. As a CFA and a member of the CFA Institute, Jim is a proud to associate with the most disciplined and prestigious group of trained investment professionals in the world.
Outside of the office, Jim has been very active and engaged in the non-profit community. He is President of the Judd Leighton Foundation which serves to perpetuate the legacy of his friend and mentor in our region in the areas of healthcare, education and economic development. He also serves as chair of the Beacon Health Foundation Investment Committee and as chair of the University of Notre Dame’s Graduate Studies and Research Advisory Council.
Interests outside of the office include travel, biking, reading biographies, cross training, golf and college football. But most of all, Jim enjoys spending time with his family.
- J.D. Wayne State University Law School (Detroit, MI)
- B.A. University of Notre Dame (Notre Dame, IN)
- Chartered Financial Analyst, CFA Institute
- Past Member of the Michigan Bar
As an independent Investment Advisory Representative and Certified Public Accountant, James works with clients to help them meet and exceed their financial goals. With over 12 years of experience in investment and asset management, financial consulting, audit, and tax services, James brings a comprehensive and consultative approach to building your investment and wealth profile. James joined Walter & Keenan Wealth Management in 2019 after three years working in the Oliver Family Office in South Bend, Indiana where he served as Vice President and Investment Analyst. Prior to moving to South Bend, James worked in Chicago in several consulting roles that included Deloitte, RSM/McGladrey, and Shepard, Schwartz & Harris LLP.
Outside of work, James enjoys playing an active role in the community engaging in volunteer organizations as well as the growing entrepreneurship community in the South Bend – Elkhart region. James also enjoys spending time with his wife and daughter, biking and hiking local trails as well as spending time on the golf course.
- Masters of Business Administration, University of Notre Dame (Notre Dame, Indiana)
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Calvin University (Grand Rapids, Michigan)
- Investment Advisory Representative
- Certified Public Accountant
- Beacon Health System – Foundation Board Member
- Community Foundation of St. Joseph County – Board Member
- South Bend Symphony Orchestra – Board Member
- Leadership South Bend/Mishawaka – Member of Class 46
C. Michael Crabill
Mike has been an investment professional in the South Bend region for more than 30 years. As a portfolio manager who has worked with a wide range of families and endowments, Mike has helped build trust and protect family legacies through his discretion and unbiased advice.
- A. John Caroll University (cum laude), University Heights, OH
- Master of Science, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN
- Mike has worked with numerous charitable and philanthropic organizations. He has most recently been very active in Rotary and the Rotary Foundation – recently completed service as District Governor.
- Mike is a member of the Smoky Mountains Hiking Club and annually made trips to Tennessee to do trail maintenance and assist in the rebuilding of trail shelters on the Appalachian Trail. For relaxation, Mike likes to retreat to his woodshop and make sawdust.
Kate was born in Kalamazoo, Michigan, but moved to Mishawaka, Indiana at a young age and has been a part of the Michiana community since. After graduating with a Bachelor of Science degree in Finance from Indiana University South Bend, she spent time working in a family office setting as well as in the Treasury department of a large manufacturing company. Kate joined Walter & Keenan in early 2004 and has had an evolving role over her fifteen plus years with the firm primarily focused on bookkeeping, client and financial reporting, and client service. She enjoys creating relationships with clients while helping with their financial needs.
Outside of work Kate and her husband spend most of their time keeping up with their two young daughters. Other hobbies include cooking, reading, listening to live music and helping at the elementary school her girls attend whenever possible.